May 3, 2010

My how time flies!

Okay, sorry about the long wait in between blogs but life has been busy!  Riki and Rebel were at Petsmart a week ago and all went well!  They were model citizens and seem to get right back into the groove of the house quickly.  This time they came home with no leftover food so it must not have been THAT traumatic for them!!!  Gizmo was very happy to see them again, that's for sure.

Taz got to have a one-on-one session with Shirley from D&S Dogs of Course on Wednesday.  We started to work on teaching him how to jump 22 inches properly.  I can tell you that I have my work cut out for me with this boy!  Running softly, not challenging him so he can actually think.  I wonder if I can apply this to flyball as well?  If we get a practice this week, I will definitely try!

I was off this week so that meant that the dogs had to supervise my every move.  This made for very little sleeping time as we were busy working around the house.  Taz got to go to doggie day care twice this week and he did well both times.  Venessa said he was not playing but he was walking around amongst the other dogs.  This is a HUGE improvement from last year!  He will continue to go, about once a month if Ken can drop him off.

Sunday was the New Hope Dog Rescue Walk-a-thon.  The organization raised over $6,400!  Way to go guys!  Pepper and Taz joined me on the 5 km walk.  I thought that for surely Taz would have problems.  Running people, hmmmm he does not like.  Bicycles, he does not like either!  Dog walking beside him who is not Pepper... that went well!  Three quarters of the way through the walk, Taz actually went nose to nose with Manix (a big foster) and it went really well!  No snapping, snarling or lunging.  I was quick to praise Taz (should have had treats and a clicker on me) on every good interaction he had with another dog.  The power of a pack of dogs walking is HUGE.  I could see Taz grooving with the dogs around him.  He might not be up for playing with every dog out there, but I can definitely tell that when we start walking with Flash (his brother) and Zoey (Flash's housemate) we can make it work.  I am hoping that Flash and Taz will become closer and play the only way that brothers know how!

This coming weekend is the River Runners flyball tournament.  Taz is not running in this one, I am aiming for him to debut in the fall again.  A year and a half off will do him some good.  We have been able to solidify him on his job.  We just need to get him comfortable passing a dog.  There always has to be something to work on!  Look for us in the racing lanes at Warman!

No comments:

Post a Comment