February 27, 2011

One step forward... two steps back

Tonight was Taz' agility class and it was frustrating!  Give him a straight line to a tunnel and he can do it.  Give him a pinwheel with a tunnel right next, not a chance in hell!  Straight to the tunnel he goes! Talking with Shirley, our game plan is one on one now.  Lots of collection and extension exercises with one to two jumps.  Lots and lots of proofing with tunnels around.  He has to learn that I am here to play the game with him and it is waaaay more fun that way!  Our new goal is to trial by September 2012.  With plenty of hard work, I know we can get there.  I will be building a travel plank with a slant so that we can teach the proper contact position for both dogs.

I will give Taz credit tonight though.  He did try three times to stick the landing at the bottom of the dog walk.  He tried very hard!  He even skidded down the dog walk to do so.  When we do more work with it, I will have to put out the "bumpers" to keep him straight to teach him the proper position for take-offs.

Speaking of collection, I brought in a set of jumps to do some work on "collection to collection" for Taz.  Smart little boy knows exactly what I am asking for.  I also brought out the clicker to mark positioning.  He did it flawlessly!  Now why the HELL can't we get that at class?  I told Ken that we are going to get rid of the pool table so I can have my indoor agility field!  Sha like that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment